Author Topic: vagus nerve stimulation  (Read 56569 times)

bach

vagus nerve stimulation
« on: July 12, 2011, 04:58:26 AM »
I have had tinnitus non-stop for the past year and have spent hundreds of hours on the internet looking for a cure (like most of you).

These links may provide some scientific rationale for what Zephiloyd has experienced and suggest some additional methods to try to improve its effectiveness.

Vagus nerve stimulation is typically used for treatment of epilepsy or depression.

However, this link discusses research at the University of Texas into the treatment of tinnitus through the application of invasive vagus nerve stimulation and tones.  They suggest that this combination of vagus nerve stimulation and application of certain tones may have an impact on the brains auditory cortex and the number of neurons focussed on a particular part of the spectrum.  This is the most promising tinnitus research I have been able to find.
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-01-rebooting-brain-tinnitus-rats.html

This link shows a device from Germany which stimulates the vagus nerve transcutaneously (ie. outer left ear).  See pictures for probe configuration and location on outer ear.  This device suggests that you can stimulate the vagus nerve without requiring a surgical implant as required in the previous link.
http://www.cerbomed.com/index.php?lang=en#product

Perhaps you can apply the Scenar to the same location on the outer ear as the Cerbomed device from Germany to stimulate the vagus nerve transcutaneously, and at the same time listen to tones as described in the above tinnitus study link?  Perhaps people can try this combination using a variety of tones and post your results?  If tinnitus is caused by too many neurons focussed on a particular frequency as the UofTexas article suggests, and this treatment focusses neurons on the specific tone, then you want to choose tones around the tone of your tinnitus, NOT THE SAME TONE AS YOUR TINNITUS, to balance the neurons across the specturm as the article suggest.  You will have to start by identifyig the tone of your tinnitus. 

Try to estimate the tone of your tinnitus using one of the many tone generators on the web and then apply tones around this tone.
http://www.world-voices.com/software/nchtone.html

Or maybe try a more balanced noise generator to spread the neurons more evenly while applying the nerve stimulation.
http://lets-beat-tinnitus.co.uk/blog/free-tinnitus-pulse-therapy/

I would defintely give this a try myself if I had a Scenar.  Maybe I will buy one in the near future to give it a try and post my results.

bach

bach

Re: vagus nerve stimulation
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 04:46:35 PM »
Forgot to post a couple additional links...

Cerbomed from Germany has also been conducting a clinical trial on The Treatment of Tinnitus With Transcutaneous Non-invasive Vagus Nerve Stimulation, probably using the device shown in the previous link.  Trial will be completed by end of this year. 
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01176734

UofTexas and MicroTransponder are conducting their invasive vagus nerve stimulation combined with tones in clinical trials in Belgium I believe.
http://www.utdallas.edu/news/2011/1/13-8021_Findings-Show-Promise-in-Battle-Against-Tinnitus_article.html

Anxious to see the results from both studies.

bach

bach

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 04:03:55 AM »
This link from the Cerbomed page shows better where to apply the stimulation to hit the auricular branch of the vagus nerve (ABVN).  It is best applied to the cymba conchae.  The cavity of conchae where Zephiloyd has been suggesting also hits the ABVN, which may explain his success, however according to this you may get even better results at the cymba conchae.  See diagram in this link for details.
http://www.cerbomed.com/files/poster_t-VNS.pdf

This link from Cerbomed suggests that they are stimulating using a simple 25Hz rectangular pulse of 250us duration.  It also suggests that intensity should be detectable but below pain threshold.
http://www.cerbomed.com/files/poster_pain.pdf

If they are using a simple rectangular pulse waveform then perhaps the waveform is not critical.

I may therefore purchase a DiaDENS unit which is MUCH cheaper than the trademarked SCENARs, it has a 20Hz pulse (should be close enough to the 25Hz being used by Cerbomed) and it even comes with an external pen probe to use on the cymba conchae.

bach

Zephiloyd

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 01:26:02 PM »
Great posts, thank you for the useful info :)

Using Scenar to stimulate the Vagus nerve could be very helpful. I am kind of reluctant to promote it due to the possible situation where someone overstimulates it, and causes themselves problems. I am however, confident that a RITM scenar will not cause this, and has never caused this to my knowledge.

If you wish to try DIADENS to stimulate the Vagus nerve please report you results here. However I would not recommend you use it to stimulate inside the ear, in the manner I have described.

Morgan

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 06:44:06 PM »
Hello

I´m new here in this forum.
I have great interest in SCENAR therapy.I´m sure alot of people will be cured or become better when correctly use this device.
Also want to know if someone have the book TINNITUS MIRACLE,the autor THOMAS COLEMAN,2010.
I saw in internet,many people said this is a good book to read and find the cure for tinnitus,so i´m curious about the book...
If someone as the kindness to tell what the book give for this cure,i apreciate.

Thanks

Morgan

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 04:00:23 PM »
For tinnitus problem,i know many things who can reduce the noise,if someone here is in desperate situation,please contact me. I reduce noise to about 60% using my method,simple ,easy,but the cure cant get yet,maybe the scenar is the cure...I hope very soon to get one scenar.
I should say my tinnitus problem was so bad,so noisy,it was the same if you put one ultrasound rat repeller close to the ear. Well,fortunatly i tried many things and reduce the noise,now i´m looking for the 100% CURE,i´m sure its possible.

Morgan

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 04:22:17 PM »
I come to conclusion,most tinnitus is a nervous stress problem inside the head,very delicate,the stress is around vagus nerve and cochlea nerve. We can experience the increase of hissing sound if press with the hand one side of the head above the ear,or if press both right and left side together,hissing sound reduce,so this means problem with nerve.Stimulation will help in this case.When you do the pressing test ,the head side where you ear more noise,is the more afected by tinnitus.
Other theory is damage hairs inside the cochlea,yes also possible.I supose Zephiloyd was very lucky with his scenar when get cure. I wondering why this miracle not repeat all the time for other people.Well,maybe becouse tinnitus problem can be due to many factor,this includes, hig noise exposure,acidents,acumulation of stress,blood pressure and age,etc...

Morgan

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 02:14:10 PM »
Hello

Before i get my SCENAR i get tinnitus relief using one herbal product name GINGKO BILOBA,its a chinese tree. And the best way to produce efect is in liquid form. I drink every night mixed with Port Wine(just a little),some 40 gotles of Gingko,and get good relief,noise reduce to 60%,fell much better. This treatment must be done during 15 days and stop 15 and again more 15 days.
Well,when i finaly buy my SCENAR i will put the results HERE,for now Gingko is the small miracle.

Note: if someone decide to make the treatment with GINGKO,first talk with doctors,this plant is not recomended for people with hig blood pressure,and other problems,see instructions before buy the product.

Morgan

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 04:05:03 PM »
Hello

fortunatly i get one brand new SCENAR, the model is the SCAN-01,modern and with screen.
I start the tinitus treatment using the book instructions,therapy around the hear,neck and six diferent points in the head.
I use the SCENAR intensity(energy) in 33,and frequency around 90Hz,the manual recomends the treatment every day for ten minuts.
Results are good,this device seems very useful,i hope to become completly cured soon.

to ZEPHILOYD :
thanks to introduce the SCENAR to people,i´m sure it will help alot.

GreatPacific

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 04:56:30 PM »
The Vagus nerve stimulation seems to be on the right track . I had good results a few years back  using a denas scenar and probe. I could feel a heavy vibration down my neck from my ear and T relief afterwords.

I also think if you have some hearing loss at higher frequencies a hearing aid allowing you to hear these frequencies  may be the answer to eliminating the T for some people.

Morgan

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 03:58:57 AM »
My T problem was becouse of one acident ,perfuration of the eardrum,and probably the big impact causes the acustic trauma, the tinitus...ear loss of 25% on my left ear.
The noise was so big,even driving my noisy  car,the hig pitch sound was allways there in my head,something like torture,i fell sorry for the people who cant get reduction in the NOISE,its realy bad thing that can hapens to a person.
A do massage around the ear(auditory cortex zone),and drink some Gingko Biloba,finaly i get NOISE reduced to low level. Now using the SCENAR i already forget the NOISE,is geting lower,hope desapear completly one of this days.
Again,BIG THANKS to Zephiloyd !!!

nsm5zep

• I LOVE ZEPHILOYD
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 07:09:40 AM »
Hopefully this topic by Zephiloyd SCENAR can explore Vagus nerve stimulation for the treatment of depression or .epilepsy in the medical world.
Thanks Zephiloyd SCENAR

jean

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 11:29:34 AM »
This is an interesting subject.  I'm in the USA and am going to buy the Scenar they have here, it's called the Scenar Pro and is made in the Netherlands.  It's about $3500 so it's a big investment.   I have tried everything to help tinnitus and some things do work for a short time.  The residual inhibition therapy works for about a minute, you can google it if you don't know about it.  Some people say the more you use it the longer the relief is, going from minutes to days to weeks, etc. I am going to try that until I get a Scenar.  You can find a small tone generator on http://lets-beat-tinnitus.co.uk/blog/free-tinnitus-pulse-therapy/  which is a blog that talks about it.  I am trying Zephilloyds ear stimulation but only have a small 5hz tens machine right now.  I did get a few days of quiet after doing it but am simultaneosly trying other things so can't say for sure if that was it.  I get terrible headaches and take a prescription pain killer for them.  They also help reduce the tinnitus a lot, but who wants to take painkillers every day.   I'm not endorsing using them, saying only that it helps me.  A medical professional once told me that tinnitus is where you are hearing pain, it makes me wonder if they were right.

nsm5zep

• I LOVE ZEPHILOYD
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 07:56:49 AM »
Hello Jean
Are you talking seriously about TINNITUS

jean

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 09:24:18 AM »
Of course I'm talking seriously about tinnitus, why would you ask that?

Hello Jean
Are you talking seriously about TINNITUS